December 17, 2006

Thinking about Blogger hosting

Today, like many days, I find that I can't read the weblogs of several of my friends whose blogs are hosted by Blogger (i.e. the ones that have "blogspot" in their URL). It's gotten to the point with Blogger sites where if the page starts taking too long to load (which is an even more prevalent problem than the complete outages) I simple cancel the process and skip their blog. Then I summarily assume that Blogger is experiencing a complete outage and avoid visiting any Blogger hosted site until the next day. Perhaps I'm too impatient, but the whole point of the web is to make it easy and convenient to retrieve information. I use RSS so as to avoid having to visit multiple sites just to see if they've updated; I'm not going to start visiting the same site multiple times just to see if it has recovered from an outage.

I know that Ev Williams is a great guy and I'm glad people are supporting him by staying with Blogger, but I wish my friends would move to another location. Anyway, it's not about Ev Williams anymore. Google runs Blogger, and has for quite a while now. Certainly for long enough to have sorted out the problem of outages and server overload. Didn't Google acquire expertise in running battalions of servers years ago? How hard could it be to properly run the servers that host Blogger sites? Maybe Google doesn't care about those sites, which would actually make sense for a corporation that didn't derive significant revenue from that service. Corporations don't like things just because they're cool and innovative; they like profits and there's nothing wrong with that.

And I think there is nothing wrong with abandoning a web-hosting service that doesn't provide the level of service you'd like to have.

Author:
http://www.ernietheattorney.net/ernie_the_attorney/2003/09/blogger_hosting.html

No comments:

Template Design | Elque 2007